Today is the 93rd birthday of Coretta Scott King, wife of Dr Martin Luther King Jr.
For 30 years she was my mentor and friend. She honored me by allowing me to write her memoirs: My Life, My Love, My Legacy. I pray that one day we will honor and celebrate her birthday. Here was a woman who spent 15 years of her life to help make her husband, one of the greatest martyrs of our generation a holiday and after his birthday served this country for more than three decades as an activist and political voice for good. Here are at least three aspects you should know about her.
1) In 1974, voted one of the worlds most influential women.
2) Served a short stint in the UNITED NATIONS—WHERE IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF ELEANOR
ROOSEVELT—SHE WORKED TO ENSURE THAT WOMEN’S RIGHTS WERE HUMAN RIGHTS.
3) SHE CO-FOUNDED AND BUILT THE MARTIN LUTHER KING CENTER FOR NONVIOLENT SOCIAL
CHANGE IN ATLANTA TO INSTITUTIONALIZE HER HUSBANDS LEGACY.
4) ALONG WITH DADDY KING HELPED ORGANIZED THE COALITION TO ELECT JIMMY CARTER
PRESIDENT AND SERVED ON A COMMISSION TO HELP PICK FEDERAL JUDGES
5) AT THE KING CENTER TAUGHT THOUSANDS OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENTS AND GANG
LEADERS THE PRINCIPLES OF NONVIOLENCE.
6) SHE WAS ARRESTED PROTESTING AGAINST APARTHEID IN SOUTH AFRICA AND SHE TRAINED TEAMS OF WORKERS HOW TO CONDUCT AN ELECTION WITHOUT VIOLENCE WHICH HELPED BRING NELSON MANDELA TO POWER.
7) SHE WROTE A NATIONALLY SYNDICATED COLUMN SUPPORTING MANY OF THE PROGRESSIVE CAUSES FROM PEACE IN VIETNAM, GUN CONTROL LEGISLATION, GAY RIGHTS AND PRISON REFORM.
8) REARED HER FOUR CHILDREN TO FEEL SAFE AND SECURE IN AN ENVIRONMENT RIFE WITH CHURCH BURNINGS, ASSASSINATIONS AND HATE SPEECH.
9) THE FIRST WOMAN TO PREACH AT ST. PAUL’S CATHEDRAL IN LONDON.
10) Spearheaded the movement to create the Dr. King birthday holiday.